So it has been about a year since I traveled to Cuba for my 30th birthday.
And it blows me away that I still get questions on how I did it.
So here it goes…
Yes, you can go to Cuba.
We decided to travel with JetBlue Airways.
We had points with the airline, they organize your visa with the purchase of the ticket, and they fly nonstop from JFK to Havana.
My family and I traveled under the visa, The Support of the Cuban People.
They are currently 12 categories in which Americans can travel to Cuba under.
The only one that my family and I qualified for was The Support of Cuban People.
12 CATEGORIES OF AUTHORIZED TRAVEL TO CUBA FOR AMERICANS
- Family visits
- Official business of the U.S. government, foreign governments, and certain intergovernmental organizations
- Journalistic activity
- Professional research and professional meetings
- Educational activities
- Religious activities
- Public performances, clinics, workshops, athletic and other competitions, and exhibitions
- Support for the Cuban people
- Humanitarian projects
- Activities of private foundations or research or educational institutes
- Exportation, importation, or transmission of information or information materials
- Certain export transactions that may be considered for authorization under existing regulations and guidelines.
Here is a rough draft of our itinerary.
Havana, Cuba 2018
Shoshanna’s 30th Birthday Trip
April 25th,2018 – May 2nd, 2018
Calle 21, No 802, ESQ. A 2
Apto 25, 6to Piso
Thursday April 26th,2018
9:15 am – Shoshanna and Yessenia arrive (Need a Taxi Pickup $25)
1:05 am – Shellanna and Darion arrive (Need a Taxi Pickup $25)
6:30 pm Dinner at 5 Sentidos (Need a Taxi)
Friday April 27th, 2018
7:00 pm – Dinner at La Gaurida (Need a Taxi)
Saturday April 28th, 2018
7:30pm – Dinner at Otra Manera La Habana (Need a Taxi)
Sunday April 29th, 2018
7:30pm – Dinner at Riomar (Need a Taxi)
Monday April 30th, 2018
Tuesday May 1st, 2018
Wednesday May 2nd, 2018
Drinks at Hotel National
Playas de Este
Santa Maria del Mar
Sea Cliffs Varadero Cuba
Cayo Coco and Guillermo
Day Trip to Vinales
Gran Teatro de La Habana
Fabrica de Arte Cubano
Plaza de la Catedral
It is really hard for Americans to book hotel rooms, so I recommend using Airbnb!
Also Cuba is limited on credit card and ATM usage so make sure to travel appropriately.
Obviously if you have any questions, feel free to tweet me @shoshmeetsworld